© 2019 Heather Nicol. Information provided on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not meant to replace medical advice. Proudly created with Wix.com

What happens after our initial call?

Making that first call is hard. 

 

We've been there. 

 

We assure you, we will treat you and your loved ones, with the compassion, kindness and respect you need.

First Meeting: Can be over the phone or in person, in person being preferable.  The purpose of this meeting is to develop a thorough assessment using a historical timeline, assessment of use for the untreated person, how it has impacted the family situation, as well as, the overall family struggles.

  • This will allow us to begin formulating a list of intervention options and the begin finding the best treatment options for the untreated person.

  • Discussing the intervention approach:  Discussing includes the use of compassion, setting boundaries and limitations, breaking the cycle of denial and learning how to do something different by not 'beating up' the untreated person at the intervention. Two methods of Intervention are typically used:  The Johnson Method, and the Family Systemic Method.  There are also very effective combination approaches. 

Preparation and Planning Meeting: We will support and work with your family or business to prepare and select the intervention group.  We will also review the steps and process of preparing for a full intervention.

  • Group members need to remember that the intervention is not a place for therapy, or solve family problems.  It is for the family to share their concerns and ask the untreated person to get help.  The key focus is to break the 'cycle of denial' for the untreated person so the family can speak their truth and seek professional help and direction.

  • This is the Pre-Intervention Meeting:  This is a very important part of the intervention process.  This is the time for all participants to meet the interventionist.  Also the interventionist will educate and support the family to prepare everyone for the day of the intervention.

Family Education Meeting (Under Family Systemic Approach): Educational and interactive family workshop wherein all participants learn about the disease of Addiction, treatment options and recovery.  All participants are helped into recovery thereby addressing their own specific needs and plan.  The untreated person is in this meeting also, provided they are willing to come.

Rehearsal Meeting: A mock Intervention meeting preparing for the intervention, helps the participants gain an understanding of what the intervention will look like.

Treatment Coordination: Treatment planning includes a treatment budget, health insurance coverage information and giving the family three options for treatment that best meet the untreated persons needs.

  • Gaining information on mental health diagnoses and addiction issues helps the interventionists to coordinate the best treatment modalities and treatment centres, that best fit the untreated persons needs.

Intervention Meeting: The Interventionist will direct the participants to follow the intervention script.  This means not engaging or debating with the untreated person no matter what they say.​

Transportation: Following the outcome of the intervention meeting we will arrange and assist the patient to the selected treatment program.  This action plan is discussed with the family before the intervention meeting.

Intervention Outcomes: The outcome of a successful intervention will be different for each family.  If the addict refuses treatment on the day of intervention, it is NOT a failure; it is however, an emotional letdown for all those involved.

  • Intervention studies have indicated that 85% of people in active addiction go to treatment at the intervention.  The majority of the remaining 15% will go within two weeks, provided the family sticks to their plan of consequences and action.

Aftercare Services: Post-intervention/aftercare case management for 10 days is available.  Family case management includes, sober coaching, addiction counselling, family consultation services, and/or helping families find referrals to other professionals in the community.